Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Symptoms of Spinal Stenosis

The various types of spinal stenosis produce very similar symptoms. In general, chronic pain with limitations on mobility are the most common symptoms associated with spinal stenosis. Pressure on the lower, or lumbar, part of the spinal cord or on nerve roots branching out from the lower back area may give rise to pain or numbness in the legs. Pressure on the upper, or cervical, part of the spinal cord (the neck area) may produce similar symptoms in the shoulders and arms.
The symptoms of spinal stenosis usually develop slowly over time and occur during certain activities or when the body assumes certain positions. The pain may come and go, as opposed to being continuous, and, at times may be relieved by lying down or sitting in a flexed forward position. This flexed position "opens up" the spinal column, enlarging the spaces between vertebrae at the back of the spine.
Pain in the legs when walking is a common symptom of lumbar spinal stenosis. Although occasionally this leg pain from spinal stenosis comes on acutely, it usually develops over several years. Numbness and tingling can accompany pain from lumbar spinal stenosis.
Pseudoclaudication is pain and discomfort in the buttocks, legs and feet due to narrowing of the spinal canal from spinal stenosis. In pseudoclaudication, the narrowing of the spinal canal compresses the nerves that control movement and sensation in the legs. It may also cause numbness and weakness in the legs.
People with more severe spinal stenosis may also experience abnormal bowel and bladder function and foot disorders. For example, cauda equina syndrome is a partial or complete loss of control of the bowel or bladder and sometimes sexual function.
The collection of nerves at the end of the spinal cord is known as the cauda equina, due to its resemblance to a horse's tail. The spinal cord ends at the upper portion of the lumbar (lower back) spine. The individual nerve roots at the end of the spinal cord that provide motor and sensory function to the legs and the bladder continue along in the spinal canal. The cauda equina is the continuation of these nerve roots in the lumbar region. These nerves send and receive messages to and from the lower limbs and pelvic organs.
Caudia equina syndrome most commonly results from a massive herniated disc in the lumbar region. A single excessive strain or injury may cause a herniated disc. However, disc material also degenerates naturally with age, and the ligaments that hold the discs in place begin to weaken. As this degeneration progresses, a relatively minor strain or twisting movement can cause a disc to rupture.
For more information: www.bonati.com/glossary/spinal_stenosis.html

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My name is Dominique McCabe and I have all of the above, including L5 S1 collapsed on top of each other...with 2 prior surgery's 8 yrs ago. The Spinal Stenosis is at its worst! I'm having the bladder and sexual side effects also. I'm in a bad condition...I'm just turned 40 yrs old with 3 babies at home. I've found a doctor in Manhatten a Dr. Michael Newirth. He's supposed to do surgery on me this coming friday. After reading your procedure, I'm alittle sceptic about what I may be doing...my surgery was cancelled on March 25th due to wrong dates written on my paper work compared to theirs. I feel at this point ...a bad omen. I'm really not superstitious about things, but now after this happening and then your website just happened to be on my computer when I sat down to look something up. I actually was going on Facebook. And there you were! I'd like to speak to someone as soon as possible from your office. I'm very concerned that I may be making another mistake. The surgery consists of 2 doctor's . One to cut my belly open, and the other to cut and do surgery on my back. They are going to open the area with rods...leaving the space open where the disc should be. There is no disc there. From the 2 other prior surgery's. Then using some kind of new wave glue they will atatch the bones together.First roughing up the bones so they adhere to one another. Because I smoke...( I know, I have to quit!) They told me a couple of weeks before it would be a good idea to quit right now due to the healing process. The percentage rate of this surgery is somewhere up in the 85%~90% rate for someone who doesn't smoke and the smokers....70% and less. "So, if you don't want to waste your time and ours...we don't care we'll gladly do the surgery again" Quit smoking now...but don't wait too long because if you are craving for one the chemicals in your body will produce the same chemicals as if you are still smoking and the bones will not adhere to one another. Dr....can you believe that this was said to me? I was in shock! If ever I needed a cigarette it was right then and there! I've been a complete and utter mess ever since. Now, this is without saying how much my body is ADDICTED to the medicine that I'm taking for something like 7yrs. I'm taking Endocete....Vicoden, and the new doctor just prescribed me something called Hydromorphone. It don't work as well as my others. But, I get so worried about my liver, I get it checked all the time and I switch on and off the two medicines. I don't know why I have to take so many of these pills to get through my day with the kids. Sleeping is something I've done in my past! I haven't had a good night sleep in a good year and a 1/2. Why wouldn't they just prescribe me something stronger so I may have to take 3~4 a day instead of 15~18 vicodin? I'm not a doctor and I know there are other med's out there that are stronger and probably would do a better job for me right now. As I am writing this note (book!) I've run out of my medicine. I live in New Jersey , and they tell me it can't be called in! I also forget to mention I am an Epileptic. So, I get very afraid when I do run out, due to the grand mal seizures I have had in the past. The withdrawal is horrible and pain is even WORSE. I'm trying to keep my mind off of my situation by writing to you. I'm at a stand still . Do I go to the Emergency Room? What? I don't know why these doctors don't understand what the patient goes through! They are the ones that make us this way....and when you need to refill they make you feel like a drug addict! I never get to deal with the doctor Directly anyway....it's always these nurse practioners that write the scripts out. They should only have 5 minutes of pain like I do! Then they would understand! Well, after reading your Procedures I am very intrigued with the whole process. I am very eager to speak to someone in your staff, I'm at a very scary cross road right now! What do I do? I've had Milograms, MRI's, CT Scans, and whatever else goes with my ailments. Thank you for all the information that you provide. It's very important to me that I do the right thing ...THIS TIME....#3! And the LAST TIME! hopefully! This is why I'd like to speak to you. ASAP! only have a couple of days, and then my surgery is to take place on this Friday April 10th. Please if possible could someone get back to me. Sir, I've had 3 babies all vaginal births...never had to even be cut! And now they want to cut my belly open, not to mention when I turned 40 I had a tatoo, my 1st tatoo put on over my scars! They have to cut there TOO! Ahh! it seems everything is going wrong for me! But, not right now...I've found you! I'm going to take the phone number and try to call on Monday. I hope you get to read about my problems first. So, very excited to speak to someone who understands! Sincerely, Mrs. Dominique McCabe (732)534~7317.

Dr. Ross Carter said...

Nice topics, I am looking this type of topics, I want more. I know The best chiropractic clinic helps people in Lawrenceville GA with back pain, neck pain, headaches. Call their office and speak to any one of their friendly staff to make an appointment for a FREE consultation.
lawrenceville chiropractic

plastic surgeon los angeles said...

Thanks for explaining so well the problems which will occur due to the specific spine problem.Usually the walking is impaired and also there is pain in the back.

Rhinoplasty Los Angeles

Atlanta Plastic Surgeons said...

Spines a very sensitive and difficult area of the body to work on and sometimes surgeries are unsuccessful but no doubt there are advanced technologies and improved medical help in the genre.
 Atlanta Plastic Surgeons

plastic surgeon los angeles said...

The pain in the spine is very bad.And the nerves that become weak make the body go dis balanced and often also cause falling.It is another problem that is faced by the patents here.
Cosmetic surgeon Los Angeles

tahera said...

This is a good post at it gives a good information about all the answers that arise in a person's mind about the surgery. Thank you for sharing this post. Orthopedic Spine Surgeon Houston, TX

tahera said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tahera said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Nice post. I have been searching for articles about valves and actuators and your post really helps. Thanks a lot for posting this.

Pain Management Los Angeles